If we invested just $10 a person each year in community health programs, our country would save $16 billion a year – while still providing quality health care. Those are some big savings! That’s why we need your help to tell Congress to keep investing in public health through the Prevention and Public Health Fund.
The Prevention Fund was recently established to empower individuals and communities with the tools and resources they need to help prevent heart disease, stroke, obesity, and tobacco use. But now it is in jeopardy as Congress looks to make spending cuts. Tell your elected officials, “Don’t make cuts to the Prevention Fund” by calling them today.
Calling your elected officials is fast and painless, and today you’ll be joining with thousands of people who are speaking out. We are partnering with dozens of other public health organizations to defend the Prevention Fund by calling lawmakers today. Here’s how to make your call:
1. Before the end of the day, call your legislators by connecting to the Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121. Don’t know your legislators? Click here and use our Legislator Look-Up tool to find out.
2. A staff person will answer the phone. It’s their job to take calls from constituents, so don’t be shy! Tell that person your name, where you’re calling from, and that you are counting on the Member to support the Prevention Fund, which will save American lives by helping prevent heart disease and stroke.
3. Many calls end here. However, if you like, you can add that he/she should support the fund because:
• The U.S. needs to invest in prevention in order to get health care costs and the budget under control. For example, the combination of cardiovascular disease (CVD), cancer, and diabetes costs the U.S. an additional $1 trillion in lost productivity each year.
• The Fund supports effective, proven prevention programs aimed at reducing chronic illnesses, such as childhood obesity prevention and tobacco cessation.
4. Once you’ve ended your call, click here to tell us how it went!
Congressional staffers are there to take your calls and keep tabs on what constituents care about to inform the decisions of our nation’s leaders. Your quick call will make a big difference.