By exercising for as little as 30 minutes a day you can reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke. In fact, studies show that for every hour of walking, you may increase your life expectancy by two hours. The time to get moving is now! Start with a small goal and commit to it regularly. It won’t be long before you’re enjoying the benefits of an active life.
Posts Tagged ‘Getting Healthy’
Today, it’s extremely important to have adequate information about caloric content at the point of purchase to make healthier, more informed choices and to combat increasing obesity rates. The Houston DINEs (Dining Information & Nutrition Education) campaign provides this type of information and more to residents in Houston, Texas.
The campaign, launched July 2010, is spearheaded by spokesperson Dr. James T. Willerson, and The Biggest Loser contestants Cherita and Victoria Andrews, a mother/daughter duo who successfully lost over 250 lbs combined because of their awareness about the importance of adopting healthier lifestyles. Houston DINEs believes that if residents, similar to Victoria and Cherita, are educated about healthier food options, they will be able to make healthier life choices.
You’re the Cure advocates have been contacting their city council members to raise awareness among legislators as well. Advocates recognize that city leaders can do a lot to promote healthy lifestyles and need to be part of the solution to combating obesity in Houston.
As the campaign continues forward, follow all of the latest news and tips on the Houston DINEs blog- http://www.houstondines.blogspot.com/
Keep up the good work Houston!
2) PERSONALIZE your petition with a note and your contact information
3) DELIVER a copy of the petition to your Senators and Representative by dropping-by their district offices (you can find the office closest to you by visiting your Members’ websites)- OR by faxing a copy into their offices.
4) REPORT BACK to let us know you have delivered your lunch tray petition
5) SHARE this message with family and friends and urge them to deliver their petition too
Today’s kids need our help to stay healthy. With increasing demands on schools, parents and families, it’s becoming harder to ensure our children to maintain healthy lifestyles, complete with regular physical activity and proper nutrition.
It’s something we’re all concerned about, and now’s the time to turn that concern into real action!
Last week, the Nutrition Education and Wellness in Schools Act (NEW Schools) was introduced in the U.S. House of Representative and we need your help to build support for the bill.
Currently there is no accountability and insufficient guidance for schools to follow through with implementing their wellness policies. To help address that gap, the NEW Schools Act would:
- Ensure school districts’ plans to reach their physical activity and nutrition goals are actually implemented
- Ensure parents and other key stakeholders are informed and involved in the process of developing and achieving school wellness goals
- Ensure schools have access to the necessary information and resources to make progress toward their wellness goals, and
- Increase funding for schools to enhance their nutrition education and promotion programs
With Congress currently working on school nutrition policy, our voices are more critical than ever. With your help, we can push for improvements to the school environment that will foster healthy, active kids.